Monday, November 30, 2009

A Week of a Thousand Thanks

It has been a full and reflective week here on the Steppe! For all that I have, and am confident of, I am truly grateful!!




Here are a few of things for which I am most grateful:

Around noon, an American friend living in our city came over to begin our day of fellowship, games, heaps of food being consumed, and expressing our thanks to our Creator. Our lovely Autumn table was filled with dainties (I love that old-fashioned word!) such as Devilled eggs, crackers, thinly sliced rye bread served with a savory crab and cheese spread. The colorful vegetables looked so attractive, and the kids loved dipping them into the most beloved creamy ranch dip. I am thankful for clolorful and nicely arranged dishes- they are pleasing to the eye and a delight to behold.

I am thankful for my daughters who lovingly work beside me sharing the chatter that womenfolk make. They turn the old saying, "Many hands make light work" into reality for me.

After some munching and talking we played a few board games. We work hard together and we play hard together. I am thankful for the labor we have here. We hope it makes and eternal difference. I am also thankful for breaks in the work that provide entertainment and ways to see each other in a different light.

The photos above show our local friends, who showed up around 4:00. We sat down to a lovely meal of roast chicken. No, we didn't have a turkey, but I am thankful that I am provided with enough food to keep me healthy, and that about 95% of the time, it tastes great too. Most of the world eats white rice, or plain bread 2 meals a day. Our friends are truly a blessing to us! They share our burdens with us, and we with them. We rejoiced together when they were blessed last month with an adopted baby girl!!
While we gobbled up massive amounts of stuffing, mashed potatoes, and baked squash, with our chicken, we went around the table and read some Good Words about Thanksgiving. Then each in turn shared what they were most thankful for. We filled up the entire white board that hangs on the wall by the table. It was a beautiful sight to see!
They left soon after dinner, but not too long later a couple more guests showed up just in time for the pie. Can I just say right now, I am thankful for pie! All 3 kinds we ate; pumpkin, apple, AND pecan. They offered some great conversation, and we bid them a fond goodnight around 9:00.
I am thankful for such a great day- but more than that I am thankful whole years of good days AND bad days. I am never alone in either.
Your Thankful SteppeSister

1 comment:

Willow said...

It sounds like you had a great and thankful day :)